What you need:
Oil pan or disposable veggie tray
5 gallon bucket or some sort of large bucket with lid
cover (top of veggie tray or other large lid or wash bowl like the oil pan)
drill for screwing
dremel tool for cutting triangles
ear plugs if needed
How to put it together:
1. Mark off your triangles with triangle template and marker.
2. Cut around the triangle with the bucket on its side. Draw each one with about an inch between each.
3. Have someone hold the bucket at the top to keep it from slipping and then turn bucket over and cut off the bottom portion of the triangle.
4. Turn bucket over and place the veggie tray over the bucket and screw in a couple of screws.
5. Place a round piece of duct tape on the lid to the feeder and then place your shade on after you have filled your feeder in the chicken yard. Then you can take the shade on and off when you are refilling the bucket. The shade will help keep the feeder from getting wet when it rains.
|We were originally going to make rounded holes but found it was simpler to make triangle ones.|
|Cutting the bottom.|
|Carving out the triangles.|
|We decided to get a thicker veggie tray from the dollar store and also a weather protector for the top of the feeder. The chickens were getting their food everywhere at first so I updated the prototype with a higher wheel base to discourage waste.|